Monday, August 22, 2011

Raisin and Walnut Sandwiches - A Re-post



Last year I wrote this post in honor of my grandmother's passing.  30 years, it's been and I still feel her presence in different ways.  Her influence has helped to mold me into the person I have become.  Of course credit is due to my parents and husband, too, as well as my own stubborn ways.  I didn't want the day to go by without remembering her.  Thanks Grandma, we sure had fun cooking, crawdad fishing, bus rides to see grandpa and our trip back to Minneapolis on the train.

*********************************************************


Yesterday was the 29th anniversary of my grandma's passing. I remember it like it was actually yesterday. We had just moved to Colorado when my dad called me with the news. I flew back to my hometown for the funeral. It seemed so somber for such a lively memorable person. These days we would have definitely celebrated her life with music, See's chocolate candy, and many anecdotes about her funny ways.

I was told she was quite the cook when she married my grandfather but her skills were wasted on him. He would gobble down anything served, but only after mixing the contents up on his plate and pouring on the salt and pepper. A real gourmet! Her skills, however were not wasted on me. I stood at her side always watching as she whipped up meals, mostly desserts! For lunch I would like to think she made tea sandwiches from an old French family recipe. How was I supposed to know that raisin and walnut sandwiches weren't French fare? Or maybe they were. I just remember her grinding all the raisins and walnuts by hand. And it was so much tastier than peanut butter and jelly.

Out of curiosity I googled "the sandwich" to see if there was a history to it and up popped a recipe with those ingredients but several more. 30 total for a sandwich. While I'm sure it is good, most people I know won't go to that much trouble for a sandwich!

If you're interested in a type of tea sandwich, this is great! Take 1 cup raisins, 1/2 cup walnuts and grind them with a mini food processor. Spoon in 2 tsp of mayonnaise. (derived from the French language). Then just spread on your favorite bread or toast. Voila!

That is what I made for lunch in honor of her. I think she made me do it; she speaks to me that way. (More about her stories in my book.) Thanks for all the great memories.....I miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment