Friday, September 9, 2011

Another First - Mediterranean Flatbread


This week I conquered the stack of recipe clippings that I've been accumulating for years!  They were pulled from the drawers as I was preparing for the kitchen remodel.  I tossed quite a few, mostly because I knew I wouldn't be making those recipes anytime soon or in my lifetime.  One I saved was a simple recipe for grilled flat bread, only because it was attached to the real reason I saved it.  Easy chocolate truffles!  This was adapted from Martha Stewart's book circa 1998.  Give credit where credit is due...

I've made pizza before, of course!  Last year, it was homemade tortillas.  This grilled flat bread recipe was much easier than I thought and so much tastier than the store bought ones.  Although, simple and plain you can dress them up with different spices.  I chose a sprinkling of rosemary to compliment the lentil soup that I had made earlier in the day.

Next time I'll grill them all at once on the barbecue and maybe top them with fresh heirlooms tomatoes from the garden.  Yum!

Ingredients:

1/2 tsp yeast  (Do not use whole packet)

1 Tbsp olive oil, plus some for the bowl and for brushing.

1 1/3 cups flour, plus extra for dusting.

3/4 tsp sea salt, plus some for garnish

1 Tbsp crushed dried rosemary

Heat a grill or barbecue until hot.  Place 1/2 cup hot water in a medium bowl.  Sprinkle yeast on top, and stir to dissolve.  Set aside for 5 minutes.  Then add olive oil, flour and salt.  Combine and put dough onto a well floured surface.  Knead until smooth, but slightly sticky.  Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for about 30 minutes.

Place dough onto a lightly floured surface.  Divide into 4 equal pieces and roll out until they are the size of a 6-8 inch tortilla.  Brush both sides with olive oil, sprinkle the rosemary on the surface and lightly press down.  Place onto the grill, and cook for about 2 minutes per side.  Remove from the grill and season with salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment